Monday, April 22, 2013

Boston, West, and the Primrose Flower

A Preface: It is unbelievably hard for me to write about suffering and tragedy. I wanted so badly to blog about the awful Newton events, but I was too caught up in my own tears and emotion to post something remotely readable. I am no less emotional about the tragedy in Boston and West, Texas that occurred earlier in the week, but I feel a deep need to "write out" my thoughts before I lose them in the emotional black hole of heartfelt sadness. So, here is what my heart is telling me:

There are so many things to be said regarding the awful tragedy in Boston (and countless other terrible events that have afflicted the innocent in recent years..namely, the West, Texas explosion), and I am sure that theologians and others more educated than I will parse the deeper meaning in the days and months to come much better than this writer. But, even though I live and speak theology, I cannot seem to (or don't want to) apply theology to this tragedy...it is too real...too heart-wrenching. Instead, two thoughts have been whirling around in my heart: a quote from Frederick Buechner and a certain flower that I noticed a few weeks ago.

First, the flower:


A few weeks ago we were at Mary's ranch (it has become our Sabbath place -- we love escaping to its endless creek trails and quiet night breezes whenever we can). The weather was perfect, 68 degrees and sunny and the family had been playing outside all day long. Mary and I were exhausted from a full day of creek stomping and exploring. Around five thirty in the evening we settled into our chairs on the deck to watch the kids play on the swing set. I happened to glance towards the other side of the yard and to my surprise I saw an entire patch of beautiful yellow flowers blooming in the setting sun. Just ten minutes earlier, nothing was there except the grass...but in those few moments the lawn was transformed with Yellow Primrose flowers blooming for the night.

Even though I know about this wonderful flower that comes into its prime during the evening hours, every spring I am amazed all over again at the curious natural phenomenon. Mary and I were so taken by the flower patch that we took a few pictures:



A picture of the backyard at the ranch around 5:30 PM

A Picture of the same lawn minutes later.

Aren't they beautiful? The curious thing to me is that, unlike any other flower, these flowers bloom during the evening hours and last all night. They are at their strongest and most beautiful during the darkest part of the night. For some reason the darkness causes them to stand up straight and expose their true, beautiful, divine identity.


This past Monday in Boston, although it was middday, the scene could not have been any more dark with evil. Yet, in the midst of the darkness, light shone. The media has done a wonderful job of showing us how so many people held their divine light up against the seemingly overpowering darkness by rushing into the muck and mire (blooming, as it were) in an attempt to help, save, comfort, and assist the wounded.

We have been privileged to hear stories of such light...like the now famous "man in the cowboy hat" who we now know is Carlos Arredondo. Carlos was at the finish line handing out flags to the runners as they completed the race. He was there in honor of his son who had lost his life in the service of our country and his other son who committed suicide because he was unable to deal with his brother's death. Carlos was in deep depression for years over the loss of his sons, but like the primrose flower, the darkness called out the need for the light to arise in him, so he pulled himself together and was at the Boston Marathon handing out flags.

When the bombs went off, Carlos rushed into the crowd and quickly found a injured man whose legs had been ripped off by the bomb. He put him in a wheelchair, tied a tourniquet around his legs and sped him to safety.

We also heard of the many marathon runners who kept on running over two miles past the finish line to Mass General Hospital so they could give blood to those who were injured from the blast....and the countless volunteers, police officers, EMT's and firefighters who rushed to the scene while most were running away as fast as they could.

Stories are flooding in about people who shone bright against the dark smoke at the fertilizer plant explosion a short drive from Waco in West, Texas.

When I read these accounts I could not stop thinking about the primrose flower....and about scripture. "Light has shown in the darkness and the darkness shall not overcome it." I don't know why I am surprised whenever scripture proves itself true...but it did on Monday and Wednesday.

Just like on Good Friday...the darkness tried to overcome the Light of the world...but the light was too strong. So to, in a different but all together similar way, the darkness tried to overcome the streets of Boston (and, in doing so the heart of the world) but the light was just too strong.


Now, the quote:

On my computer I have a list of quotes from people I admire that I try to read daily...the quotes serve as a way to center my heart and spirit in preparation for the busy day that is always ahead. The very first quote in the document is from Frederich Buechner...I dedicated this short quote to memory long ago...mainly because it speaks to me in a deep and profound way...so much so that I used it in a speech I gave at my brother's wedding; "Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid."

I don't know why this tragedy happened...or why God allowed this (or any other tragedy to happen) but I think I know partly why Buechner borrowed from so many scripture passages that tell us not to be afraid....I think it is because God wants us to know that, no matter what happens, the darkness will never, ever overcome the light...

In fact...the darkness might just cause the light to shine that much brighter, like a Yellow Primrose Flower.


















1 comment:

  1. Ah, I love this. Great quote by Buechner. I've been wondering what those yellow flowers are, as they do the same thing in our lawn every evening, and it makes me so happy. Now i know what it is!

    ReplyDelete