Monday, December 1, 2014

What is Taize? And what does it mean to me?

Guest post written by Mary:

I sometimes feel like I have 3 strikes against me when I attend a Sunday morning worship service.  Strike one: I’m married to the preacher.  This means that it is a perpetual challenge to hear the sermon without filtering through many complex lenses.  Each Sunday, I have to seek to hear the message that God wants me to hear through fresh ears.  Strike two: I have 2 small children with me in worship each week.  One child is really self-sufficient and good at sitting still.  The other, not so much.  So, while other people are able give their full attention to the service and ‘be still’ before God, I often find myself shushing my 4 year old, shuffling papers, and trying to put out sibling squabbles in the pew, oblivious to the elements of worship taking place.  Strike 3: Not only do I have small children with me in worship, but I am the only one available to parent them (see Strike #1), so again, it’s easy for me to get distracted. Thankfully, God is bigger than my distractions and he is gracious enough to meet me in this season of life on Sunday mornings.

However, there is another sacred place where I’ve found a strike-free worship zone.  Our church, McLean Baptist, offers a Taize Prayer Service the first Wednesday of each month.  (Bonus: MBC also offers an amazing dinner catered by Sweet Leaf for just $6 a plate and childcare on Wednesday nights as well.)  When I first arrived at MBC, I had heard the word ‘Taize’ before, but I didn’t know how to pronounce it or what it meant.  I’ve since learned that you’ll hear it called TAY-ZAY most often.  

What does a typical service look like?  We gather in the church parlor, the lights are a little dimmed, the piano is being played.  You immediately sense a quiet and reflective mood.  Chairs are in rows and at the front is a candle-lit table, sometimes prepared for communion.  Each attendee gets a worship folder.  We begin with simple songs, singing a specific phrase or chorus through several times.  Through the repetition of the words, I become centered and the words become the prayer of my heart.   Scripture is spoken.  More simple songs are sung.  Then we enter into 10-12 minutes of silence.  Sometimes, the time seems long, the silence is loud and I find my thoughts distracted and scattered.  Other times, the Holy Spirit meets me head-on in the silence, ministers to me, and I’m moved to tears by the overwhelming presence of God.  Most times, those 10-12 minutes are the only silence I’ve experienced all week.  The silence is a discipline, but one that is inviting to me.  After the silence we have a few minutes of extemporaneous prayer.  Anyone who wants to pray can offer up a few words.  People may pray for a friend or family member who is hurting.  Someone may voice thanksgiving for a blessing.  One might voice a pray for another part of the world that needs God’s intervention or touch.  After a brief time of extemporaneous prayer, we sing another song to close the service.  The entire service is about 40-45 minutes.  The elements may change slightly in order or amount, but always consist of simple songs, scripture reading, silence, prayer, and sometimes the Lord’s supper.

For me, it’s a worshipful experience that I appreciate so much because I can be fully present.  The stillness and quiet is nourishing to me, as it offers a sacred space to simply rest in the presence of God.

Life is so busy.  And in this area of the country, people move and work at an astonishing pace.  A Taize service can be a place of refuge; offering rest, healing, and renewal.  I encourage you to give it a try, and what better time to try a service than during Advent?  I hope to see you there this Wednesday, December 3.  Come early for dinner at 5:45, or come to the parlor at 6:30 for the service.

No comments:

Post a Comment